There has always been a sibling code in the Young household and though I am now a Pearson, it does not exempt me from the regulations in this code. As siblings we would always band together against our parents. Our favorite thing to do was set booby traps like the kids on Goonies. My parents had buckets of water dumped on them, a play kitchen chasing them down the stairs, and whatever else we could come up with. Now that we are older we just band together and try to keep the peace with the parents.
The "code" today mainly consists of standing up for the sibling being teased by the parents or not ratting out the sibling who did something they shouldn't (unless it's a major offense). It is also an unspoken rule that if both parents are in bed and Garrett and I are both awake, one of us can't leave to go to bed without waiting for the other person or they will be in violation of the code.
Garrett waited for me last night while I took a quiz for my online psychology class and I usually always wait up for him when he is working late or getting Newton's food ready. Newton is his sugar-glider. (A small pouch dwelling marsupial that looks like a flying squirrel.) I have really enjoyed this since I moved back in with my parents because Teagan goes to bed at 8pm and Darryl gets up so early that he is in bed by 9. I have always been kind of a night owl and Garrett is now that he's a teenager.
We often find ourselves at Smith's or Harmon's at around midnight trying to come up with some fancy new drink to try. (I am fiercely loyal to Smith's but when it comes to fancy drinks, Harmon's has a better selection.) Our latest favorite is our version of a Italian Soda. We got Raspberry Shasta and mixed in a teaspoon or two of Italian coffee creamer. It's delicious.
We have lots of fun together and I am really glad I have the chance to spend time with Garrett during his teen years. We have gotten really close. I guess it's the silver lining in the wish-we-had-our-own-place cloud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- November (1)
- May (2)
- January (1)
- December (1)
- November (2)
- October (2)
- September (2)
- August (1)
- July (1)
- June (1)
- May (3)
- April (2)
- February (1)
- January (3)
- December (4)
- November (5)
- October (5)
- September (3)
- August (3)
- July (3)
- June (5)
- May (7)
- April (5)
- March (4)
- February (4)
- January (6)
- December (6)
- November (6)
- October (4)
- September (9)
- August (8)
- July (2)
- June (3)
- May (1)
- April (1)
- March (7)
- January (2)
4 comments:
That is so cool. I wish Clint and I lived closer so we could do that. Siblings are so much fun when you don't want to strangle them ;)
That's fun you guys get along so great.
Play kitchen chasing the parents?? I definatley want to hear THAT story. :)
Your poor mom and dad! Whatever I bet they loved the excitement. Yay for Garrett being your cool little brother! I miss him, and your whole family.
It is Great that you are building a Great Friendship and Great Memories. I miss my little Bros.
Post a Comment