Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Darryl!


This year for Darryl's birthday my family went camping. We went up into the Unitas out past Kamas. We had lots of fun, but it was so exhausting camping with an active toddler. Teagan had himself a ball running all over. Darryl couldn't stay the whole time and I was going to go home with him, but my mom got sick and so she went back early instead. I decided to stay so my dad wouldn't have to clean up camp alone. We went to Provo River Falls and Teagan loved putting his toes in the icy water. I had a tight grip on him the whole time so he wouldn't get more than just his feet in the water. I get a bit paranoid and over-protective, but I can't help it.

The morning of Darryl's birthday, we realized that we had forgotten a few things and we needed to drive to the store in Kamas. Darryl and I volunteered so we could get back into a cell phone reception area. He had to make sure to tell Blake Happy Birthday too. It was cute that he was so insistent on talking to his twin on his birthday. I of coarse took advantage of the cell phone reception and got to talk to Kayce. Oh how we wished they lived closer!

We had quite the feast for Darryl's birthday. Devin made brisket in the dutch oven and we had baked beans, watermelon, potatoes, and pineapple upside-down cake. It was delicious and fun to cook outdoors. Amanda's parents were camping with us too and it was really fun to get to know them better. Darryl had a blast camping as always because he gets to play with fire. That's what he did most of the time. He is quite the pyro. That's why he wanted to be a firefighter!

The next day we went to Trial Lake and from there hiked to Wall Lake. It was gorgeous and I really want to plan a backpacking trip there someday. It was a great hike. Not too long or strenuous but not too short and easy. It was perfect for us since we had Teagan. He mostly rode on my dad's shoulders and he even fell asleep while he was up there! It was adorable, and right as I was about to get a picture, it started to rain a little bit and that woke him up. We stopped to get a bottle of water out of the backpack and Teagan noticed something in the pack that caught his eye and he yelled out excitedly "GUM!!!" Sure enough there was a pack of gum in the backpack. I am not crazy about him having it, but he obviously knows what it is! I gave him about 1/4 a piece since he was so excited to have it. He actually chewed it for a while instead of just swallowing it. I was surprised. My baby is growing up!

After our hike, we cleaned up camp and made it home in time for a BBQ at the Keddingtons. It was really fun to see everyone again. Our families used to get together several times a month, and as the kids got older and lives got busier, our visits are fewer and farther between. Teagan is really shy around people he doesn't know very well, but he sure loved Chad. It was cute to see him follow Chad around and reach for him. Nearly the entire Young/Cornell/Keddington clan was there, and our numbers have grown so this was quite the feat. Since we had been camping, we didn't stay long. We were all exhausted. It was nice to get home and get to bed early.

We had a wonderful celebration of the 4th of July with a fireworks show put on by Garrett. I was excited to see Teagan's reaction to the fireworks, and was disappointed when he didn't even care enough to notice them. He had himself a great time playing with the steering wheel of my mom's van. He LOVES anything he can "drive." He stands on the driver's seat and grips the steering wheel and jerks it back and forth as much as the steering wheel allows when the car is turned off. He has a great time and is content to do that for quite a while. It's funny. 

I am grateful for my wonderful hubby, Darryl! I love him so much and I hope he had a great birthday. We got to see GG the next day and wish her a happy birthday too. (GG is Teagan's Great-Grandma Pam.) It was a great weekend.

2 comments:

Kayce said...

Happy Birthday Darryl!

Twins rock cuz I only have to remember one birthday, lol..

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, Darryl!

I'm glad you guys had a fun 4th of July.

Blog Archive