Monday, August 10, 2009

Bye-Bye ba-ba

Teagan had a really hard time giving up his bottle. When he was a year old I talked to his doctor about weaning him and he said not to. I was a little surprised, but he explained that kids usually do best when they decide they are ready and so long as he ate well at meals it was fine to give him a bottle at bedtime. He said he wouldn't really start to worry until Teagan got closer to 2 years old.

Teagan hasn't been eating very well lately and I felt it was time so Saturday I took him by the hand and he threw his ba-ba in the garbage. He was quite reluctant, but it was good to see him let go. He put it in the garbage and waved bye-bye and started to cry. We shut the pantry door and he stood there for a little bit waving bye-bye with tears streaming down his face. I felt bad for him, but knew it was for the best. We went in the living room and read some stories and he went right back to his happy self. He has adjusted fairly well so far. He cries for a bit when we put him to bed, but not for long and then falls asleep. We have kept a bedtime routine of reading a story and saying prayers before bed so he still has something to comfort him and ease him into bedtime. It's hard to hear him cry knowing exactly what would comfort him, but he is a big boy now and as hard as that is for me, I know it's best for him.

My baby is getting SO big! 

2 comments:

Kayce said...

Lucky. When we cut up Glade's binkies, it was the longest month of my life.

It's good he is handling it so well though!

Andrea said...

I can't believe how big he's getting. No more bottles? What?!!!!

Blog Archive